In our fourth episode we begin by discussing Tuk’s Law, a remarkable campaign that has made it mandatory for vets to check dogs and cats for microchips before considering euthanasia. Dominic makes a striking argument about measures to control the Covid-19 pandemic and measures to control Bovine TB. We reflect on the future of Environment Minister George Eustice, and look at how businesses might buy upland peat moors as part of a strategy to bring their carbon balance sheets down to net-zero. In ‘Hero and Villian’ we praise Hugh Warwick (aka Hedgehog Hugh, who also provides a pre-record on his petition to ensure new builds include hedgehog highways) and Sue Williams and Dawn Ashley the joint founders of the Tuk’s Law campaign, and we turn our ire on Bayer (the manufacturer of RoundUp, because ‘weeds’ are wild flowers) and on coffee chains for using disposable cups again. In ’60 Second Sell’ we flag up two important petitions (for Mini’s Law and a Call for Nature’s Recovery by 2030) and look forward to Virginia McKenna’s online ninetieth birthday party. Oh, and apologise for an unfortunate typo that meant emails weren’t getting through to us…
- Tuk’s Law – facebook.com/Tuks-Law-Scan-Me-716932295354918/
- George Eustice’s speech on “restoring nature and building back greener” on Gov.uk website
- Dominic Dyer – The Independent: “Lessons learned from Covid-19 must spell the end of the badger cull“
- Luke Steele – “A new space race for the future of the uplands is underway“
- Brewdog is now Carbon Negative
- Hugh Warwick’s ‘hedgehog highways’ petition on Change.org and his personal website hughwarwick.com
- Bayer – legacy cancer claims and class actions
- Petition: Mini’s Law (The Public and Animal Safety Bill 2021)
- Petition: Call for Nature’s Recovery by 2030 on e-activist.com
- Born Free’s Happy Birthday Virginia
Music excerpts from ‘The Old Timer’ by Tigerblood Jewel (on Epidemic Sound)
Many thanks to Jonathan Shortt of jcshorttdesign for working with us on our branding.
If you’d like to leave a comment or tell us what’s on your mind, suggest a future guest, nominate a Hero or Villain, or would like to feature in ’60 Second Sell’ please feel free to write something below. If you’d like to troll or spam us, don’t bother. We moderate everything before publishing.
Please note that Off The Leash Podcasts is entirely independent. We have no affiliations or connections with any organisation, charity, or business unless specifically noted in the podcast or on the website and none should be implied.