In our third episode we begin by discussing the Queen’s Speech and potential advances for animal welfare (including animal sentience, hare coursing, foie gras) and what was left out (the badger cull, the fishing industry, a commitment to ban snares). We look at trophy hunting (with a pre-record from Eduardo Goncalves, founder of the Campaign to Ban Trophy Hunting) and deer shooting at English Heritage’s Wrest Park (kudos Bedfordshire Against Trophy Hunting fo that story). We discuss whether Jonathan Seed, the Conservative’s candidate for Wiltshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner, should have ever been put forward. We take a long look at grouse moor lobby group C4PMC and supply a long list of wildlife crime/raptor persecution to counter their propaganda. In ‘Hero and Villian’ we praise both Dr Paula Kahumbu and the individuals who worked to return a Minke Whale to the sea, and return to Jonathan Seed as our villain of the week. In ’60 Second Sell’ we flag up Salford Wildlife, Colin Marshall of livingworldeducation.com, Nicky Campbell’s podcast (which Dominic guested on), and the Animal Welfare Party.
- War on Wildlife Project | The Queen’s Speech: Conservatives – the party for animal welfare?
- The Guardian | Police commissioner candidate withdraws over drink-driving conviction
- War on Wildlife Project | English Heritage, Trophy Hunting and Muntjacs
- Bedfordshire Against Trophy Hunting
- Campaign to Ban Trophy Hunting
- Raptor Persecution UK | Campaign for Protection of Moorland Communities: who’s involved?
- Salford Wildlife Facebook Group
- Colin Marshall | Living World Education
- Wildlife Direct | Dr Paula Kahumbu wins prestigious Whitley Gold Award
- Nicky Campbell Podcast | One of the Family 14 May 2021
- Animal Welfare Party
Music excerpts from ‘The Old Timer’ by Tigerblood Jewel (on Epidemic Sound)
Many thanks to Jonathan Shortt of jcshorttdesign for working with us on our branding.
If you’d like to leave a comment or tell us what’s on your mind, suggest a future guest, nominate a Hero or Villain, or would like to feature in ’60 Second Sell’ please feel free to write something below. If you’d like to troll or spam us, don’t bother. We moderate everything before publishing.
Please note that Off The Leash Podcasts is entirely independent. We have no affiliations or connections with any organisation, charity, or business unless specifically noted in the podcast or on the website and none should be implied.